DB Schenker Rail UK and its long standing customer CEMEX have made history after despatching over 2 million tonnes of aggregates by rail from Dove Holes Quarry in Derbyshire during 2014.
This is a record for the quarry, in the High Peak district, and represents a more than 20% increase on 2013.
The companies celebrated at a special event at the quarry this week when DB Schenker’s 60039 was officially named Dove Holes.
Les Morris, DB Schenker Rail UK’s Head of Sales, said: “We are proud to name loco 60039 ‘Dove Holes’ in recognition of the record amount of aggregates moved from the quarry by rail in 2014.
“We are delighted be working with CEMEX— to despatch greater amounts of aggregates than ever before, helping them to achieve their aspirations in the construction market, which is seeing a big resurgence. The environmental benefit is also significant. Two million tonnes of aggregates despatched by rail is equivalent to more than 65,000 HGV movements removed from the UK’s congested road network.”
Neil Farmer, Aggregates Director, who performed the naming ceremony, said: “We are delighted to have a loco named after our biggest quarry in the country. Moving aggregates by rail has many advantages, both to the communities in which we operate but also on the environment. It enables us to get the material into the heart of the towns and cities without adding trucks onto our busy roads. Aggregates are an essential part of construction providing the ‘backbone’ to concrete for houses, hospitals, roads and the built environment. We hope ‘Dove Holes’ covers many successful rail miles in the future.” The aggregates despatched from the quarry by rail are delivered to 13 destinations across Great Britain.
If you are a journalist and would like further information, please contact:
Melanie Hill, DB Schenker Rail UK External Communications Manager on: +44 (0)1302 575338, Mobile: +44 (0)7799 336438. Email: [email protected]
Elizabeth Young, External Communications Advisor, CEMEX UK on +44 (0) 1932 583214 m. +44 (0) 7920 245656 e [email protected]
Notes to editors:
· DB Schenker Rail UK is the UK’s largest rail freight operator, operating around 3,200 trains each week and employing around 3,400 people in the UK.
· The DB Schenker Rail UK media centre at www.rail.dbschenker.co.uk/press includes images and a news release archive
· Follow DB Schenker Rail UK on Twitter: www.twitter.com/dbschenkerrail
· About CEMEX: CEMEX is a global manufacturer of building materials and the biggest Mexican investor in the UK, with 3,000 people employed across 450 sites nationwide. In this country, we are a leading provider of aggregates, cement, ready-mixed concrete and rail sleepers with annual sales of around £1 billion.
· Helping to build a Great Britain – CEMEX’s vision is to help build a greater Britain by providing solutions to construction problems through our innovative building materials, our expertise, our understanding of the construction issues and our people. We aim to create the best service and the best solutions for a better future.
DB Schenker Rail UK
Lakeside Business Park
(t): +44 (0)1302 575798
(m): +44 (0)7879 801200
(e): [email protected]